Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Campfire

Buddy had his first campfire last night.  Even though it's Florida and has been in the 80's lately, we are having a freeze this weekend.  Yesterday, we were trying to work on the house, and suddenly my husband decided that we needed to fix the drafty front door and have a campfire.  We talked about our options.  We live in Florida, in a 67 year old house.  The front door is a frame around a jalousie window.  I'm sure when it was put in, before air-conditioning, it was fantastic.  Now, we can't open it when the weather is nice, and it just lets in a draft.  We decided to replace the window screen with visqueen and to dig a fire pit.  Random, I know.  So anyway, my husband went to the hardware store to buy some visqueen and a shovel.  I went to the store for hotdog buns and s'mores supplies.

So anyway, my husband dug a fire pit, and my sister and brother-in-law came over.  When I first brought Buddy outside, he just stared at the light on the back porch.  I turned him so he was looking at the fire.  He seemed to like that, too.  He watched it for the rest of the time we were outside.  We finally had to go back in because of the cold, but it was fun.

We have been planning for so long for all the fun things we can do with Buddy.  Then, we wondered, how can he do all the things that we love doing if he can't really see very well?  We like hiking, and photography, and my husband likes cars and target shooting.  After realizing that these may not be possible things for us to all enjoy, we decided to come up with new interests for all of us.  Still, it is nice to be able to do "normal" stuff like have a campfire, and have Buddy enjoy it.   We can't wait to do more things with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment